Remember that if you change a Driver’s settings from under the tab My Fleet, the new settings will be applied to all future Route Plans whenever this Driver is utilized. If you only need to modify settings only for a specific Route Plan, you need to do it from under the tab Route Plans.
Here you find a description of all the fields you can use to define settings and constraints.
- Start Address: type the Address from which you want the Driver to start his/her Routes. You can select the tab Review Start Position for fine-tuning the actual position on the map.
- Choose an option for the End Destination: if you select Roundtrip the Route will end at the Start Address; if you select Open Route the route will end wherever is more convenient; if you select Specify End Destination a new field where to enter the End Destination address will appear. Please note that you can also adjust the position of this address by selecting the tab Review Destination.
- The tab Assign to a region (beside the above-mentioned tabs for reviewing positions) allows you to draw a region on the map. All Orders included within its borders will be forcedly assigned to this Driver. Note that Orders outside of regions, on borders or in overlapping regions will be assigned automatically (this means you do not need to stress too much about drawing super-accurate regions). The Driver will anyway be eligible for service even outside his/her region. Other Drivers' regions are shown concurrently and each region has the Driver's color code to distinguish it from others. Regions can be deactivated by pressing the on/off button. When they are not active, only their borders are shown.
All other Settings are accessible by clicking on different tabs.
- Start work at: while building the optimal Schedule for this Driver, the Viamente Route Planner suggests a Route which will start not earlier than the time you set here. Choose one of the times from the dropdown menu or type in your own setting.
- Finish by: while building the optimal Schedule for this Driver, the Viamente Route Planner suggests a Route which will finish not later than the time you set here. Thanks to the optimization process, hopefully the suggested Route will be completed earlier. Choose one of the times from the dropdown menu or type in your own setting. Important Note: if your Driver is supposed to drive overnight and complete the Route the day after, the time set here should refer to the following day: add (+1) to the time definition.
- Flexible Start Time: When the Flexible Start Time option is ticked, the Route Planner postpones the actual departure time if that helps minimize the Driver's Total Working Time. If you prefer a Fixed Start Time, do NOT tick this option and the Route Planner will force the Driver to start as early as the "Start work at" setting. This leads to routes that, on average, are completed earlier.
- Rest Break: this optional field allows you to define the length of a Driver's break (for example for lunch)
- Starting between: if the Driver has a break, these two fields will define the Time Window within which you would like the Driver to start his/her break. The starting time of the break will be an output of the optimization process, with the Route Planner suggesting the best moment (within limits of a User-set Time Window) for taking the break, thus minimizing its impact on the level of service.
- Work up to (hrs): This field allows you to specify a maximum number of Working Hours for your Driver, independently of his/her Start and End Time.
- Drive up to (hrs): This field allows you to set the maximum number of Driving Hours for your Driver. Useful for when your governments has restrictions on how long drivers can be on the road for.
- Load Capacity: this optional field applies if Drivers transport goods or passengers and consequently the Load Capacity of a Driver's Vehicle must be taken into consideration in the routing process. You can set up to three Loaf Factors. Leaving it blank will set the capacity to unlimited.
- Please note that by pressing the green button you can add a second Load Capacity: this is useful in case you want to define weight and volume, for instance. Neither of the set values will ever be exceeded.
- You can choose the Load Unit which best matches your own operations among the options in the list or enter a new one.
- By moving the Driver's Speed Factor slider, you can modify the speed coefficient used for calculating this Driver's driving time: to the left = slower, to the right = faster.
Special Skills: this optional field applies if Orders require (or ban) Skills that only subsets of Drivers claim. You can leave the field blank, or add one or more skills separated by a comma. Make sure you press “enter” after entering new Skills. For a better insight on the use of skills, read how Orders are defined.
- The field Fixed Cost allows you to define a cost incurred if this Driver/Vehicle is utilized, regardless of the duration of service.
- The field Hourly Cost defines costs incurred on a hourly basis when using this Driver/Vehicle.
- The field Per Mile Cost is how much it costs to run this Driver/Vehicle per mile.
By clicking on Copy Settings you can in fact speed up the process of creating/amending Drivers and copy all settings FROM an existing profile or TO new ones.
With the Viamente Route Planner it is possible to create plans with a 1-day planning horizon, or to have your deliveries/work calls automatically distributed and scheduled over multiple days. Please note that when planning over multiple days, for each Driver you can either use the same settings for all days, or you can customize them for each single day. This may be useful in case your Drivers leave from different addresses on different days, or if working hours vary during the week.
Note: For a more detailed description of how to set each single field, please read this section of our knowledge base, where settings are listed one by one.